Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Snack Attack

I confess to being a snacker.  I fill up quickly at a meal, then get hungry a couple of hours later.  Of course current thinking is that eating frequent, small meals is the key to weight control, but the key to this is what you snack on.........

I have already had an affair with wheat thins, then I moved on to blue tortilla chips.  What do these two items have in common..........salt!   And salt tells your brain: just one more chip (or cracker)....then one more...then just one more again.  And your clothes get tighter and tighter.

So I have been on the hunt for healthy snacks that fill me up with just a few bites maybe each hour.  I went through a phase of raw almonds, then moved on to roasted almonds (no salt), then I discovered cocoa powder covered almonds.  And chocolate covered espresso beans also slipped in there.

For Christmas, my daughter gave her Dad her famous trail mix.  I helped him eat it and guess what happened after a week or so?

It's empty......

Oops....well, I stared at the empty cannister for about a week, then went to Trader Joe's and got a selection of things I like in trail mix.  Made a trip to Harris Teeter for those cocoa almonds.  And mixed.  A lot.  This should last for awhile.  And it is so good (although I did leave out the M&M's to hubby's sorrow....I mean it is meant to be healthy.  And guilt-free.


This mix contains roasted almonds, cocoa almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, dried blueberries, cherries and cranberries, and some healthy low fat granola from a box. 

So I can walk by the pantry now and grab a handful and get my snack fix without feeling guilty.
Post a Comment