Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Snack Attack

I confess to being a snacker.  I fill up quickly at a meal, then get hungry a couple of hours later.  Of course current thinking is that eating frequent, small meals is the key to weight control, but the key to this is what you snack on.........

I have already had an affair with wheat thins, then I moved on to blue tortilla chips.  What do these two items have in common..........salt!   And salt tells your brain: just one more chip (or cracker)....then one more...then just one more again.  And your clothes get tighter and tighter.

So I have been on the hunt for healthy snacks that fill me up with just a few bites maybe each hour.  I went through a phase of raw almonds, then moved on to roasted almonds (no salt), then I discovered cocoa powder covered almonds.  And chocolate covered espresso beans also slipped in there.

For Christmas, my daughter gave her Dad her famous trail mix.  I helped him eat it and guess what happened after a week or so?

It's empty......

Oops....well, I stared at the empty cannister for about a week, then went to Trader Joe's and got a selection of things I like in trail mix.  Made a trip to Harris Teeter for those cocoa almonds.  And mixed.  A lot.  This should last for awhile.  And it is so good (although I did leave out the M&M's to hubby's sorrow....I mean it is meant to be healthy.  And guilt-free.


This mix contains roasted almonds, cocoa almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, dried blueberries, cherries and cranberries, and some healthy low fat granola from a box. 

So I can walk by the pantry now and grab a handful and get my snack fix without feeling guilty.

1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Have you tried All Bran crackers? They are similar to wheat thins but they taste so much better and have more protein and fiber. Also, my favorite snack are vitatops. They are 100 calories, full of good stuff and are seriously delicious. I also like fruit crisps, dehydrated fruit, kinda spendy but low cal and nummy.