Pages

Friday, June 04, 2010

Tacos X 3

My absolutely favorite South of the Border dish is fish tacos.  I have had really good ones when visiting Texas, but this last visit I failed to get my "fix".  So I decided it was time to try and make my own at home.  I thawed two pieces of Swai Fillets (from Sam's).  I took the first fillet, cut it into smaller pieces, did the "shake, dip and shake" thing (flour, then egg, then panko crumbs) and fried them in Fry Daddy.  Shredded some cabbage and made an asian type tartar sauce I found online.  I used white flour tortillas for a sort of a wrap. Those green leaves are cilantro that I kept for over a week.  Find out how here!  Although the sauce on this taco was not very Mexican, it was really good with the fried fish pieces.

So I still had another piece of fish.  This time I marinated the fish for a couple of hours, grilled it in my Cuisinart rotisserie rack, mixed the leftover asian tartar sauce into shredded cabbage, and used white corn tortillas.  To attempt to make a crispy shell,  I sprayed them on both sides with oil, heated til crisp in a hot skillet and folded.  Although the fish was healthier, we kinda like the fried version better......

The final taco meal was lunch.  I had leftover black beans from the grilled taco meal and decided to try another method of making a crunchy taco shell to fill with the beans.  This time I sprayed yellow corn tortillas with oil, folded them over a roll of foil and baked in a slow oven til crunchy. 


Marinade for Grilled Fish for Tacos                               Sauce for Fish Tacos
2 T white vinegar                                                           1/2 cup mayonnaise
2T lime juice                                                                  1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 t lime zest                                                                    2 T sweet pickle relish
1 1/2 t honey                                                                  1 1/2 t lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t chile powder
1 t Old Bay seasoning
1/2 t pepper
1 t hot pepper sauce
Mix and then whisk in 1/4 cup oil.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

This recipe sounds great Nan. I made shrimp tacos not too long ago. Grumpy wasn't happy with me (I'm sure you know why!). He still ate them though. I am going to take my chances and make your fish taco recipe. I really like how you made your taco shell!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I LOVE tacos but I'm not a fish fan. I would probably enjoy eating one but not sure if I would make them though! Thanks!

Nan said...

Yeah, I thought the taco shell idea was brilliant...and all mine! I like fish, probably because I think I teethed on it. My Dad loved to fish in fresh lakes and I grew up sitting in the bottom of a rowboat. He caught it, my mom cooked it, I ate it. Exclusively fried, I might add!

Anonymous said...

The marinade sounds good...we make tacos all the time..will try this.