Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

At the Beach

I'm at Panama City Beach this week, eating wonderful food, and mainly doing nothing.  My brother-in-law is also a foodie and a good cook, so he is making wonderful dinners.  I'm doing my part by making some of my recipes for lunch.  I have made the party chicken salad that I blogged, also have made Paula Deen's fried okra salad.  I served that with the most marvelous chicken wings.  Mix 1 cup regular coke with 1 cup brown sugar and 1T soy sauce and pour it over 4 pounds of wings.  Bake them for 3-4 hours at 325 degrees and enjoy.  Warning:  either put a disposable aluminum pan in your regular baking pan or line the pan with one solid piece of heavy duty aluminum foil.  I spent an hour soaking and hacking the sugar glaze off my pan.

I have another trick for you...the secret ingredients for the best mango salsa in the world (besides good, ripe mangoes), is a dash of white wine and a dash of tequila.  My brother-in-law says that kinda breaks down the mango a bit and it gives it a hint of flavor that you don't expect.

And, yes, I know the the hurricane is on the other end of  the Gulf of Mexico, but the weather in the Florida Panhandle is awful.  Thank goodness we have a screened porch, so we have not been completely cooped up by the rain.  Today was the worst day, so hopefully it will start to improve.  We have had part of each day without rain and have managed to do some fun stuff..including finding an antique/junque shop  where I got, of course,  a set of dishes....for $15......photos to come later.

So, you will hear from me again next week, complete with photos of the food and wine we have enjoyed during our rainy beach week.

Until then, happy cooking and eating.

No comments: