Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Salad Saturday

I spent all week shopping to restock my kitchen after being out of town.  I went to the regular supermarket, Trader Joe's, a local vegetable stand, and the Regional Farmer's Market.  So with a full fridge and time on my hands, I made salads, spurred on by having a bunch of fresh dill that needed to be used quick. 

The black bean salad is in a little zucchini bowl.  I found a recipe on a blog that used the vegetable bowl to serve soup in.  I did not want to make the soup, but I liked the bowl idea, so the salad went into it.  Neither of us ate the bowl, so I chopped up one to put into the potato salad for tomorrow.  The other one just might get julienned and deep fried for a garnish. The black bean salad is basic, and constantly changes.  This one has canned, rinsed black beans, uncooked kernels from a fresh corn cob, cilantro, red bell pepper, red onion, slivered radishes, some diced jalapeno pepper, bottled italian dressing, coriander, cumin, and a few grinds from a pepper/salt/garlic mill.

The potato salad is simply those gold skinned potatoes peeled and chunked up.  I cooked too many, so half went into mashed potatoes last night, the rest into the salad.  I wanted boiled egg in the salad but did not want to boil an egg...so I cracked an egg into a glass cup, pierced the yold with a fork, put a vented plastic wrap cover on it and cooked it on medium on microwave...it was perfect.  Celery, red onion, parsley, olive oil, rice vinegar, fresh dill complete this one.

We had salmon for dinner last night, so I boiled some pasta and combined it with the leftover salmon, added lemon juice, fresh dill, parsley, and a little olive oil based mayo.

1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Serving it in the veggie bowl is cute!