Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Building My Breakfast

Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day, and it is.  It sets you up for the rest of the day.  If I eat the wrong breakfast, I get the low blood sugar shakes before lunch, sending me into a snack fit.  The problem is I hate breakfast foods.  I love it when a restaurant will let me order off the lunch menu at a late breakfast meal.

I have spent many years searching for a breakfast I will eat.  I switched to 'fake' milk when my daughter pointed out that perhaps my feeling icky after breakfast every day could be due to the milk.  Spot on.  So then I started on my quest for a cereal that I liked.  I don't like sweet stuff in the morning...that is for late afternoon!

I've done smoothies, toast with peanut butter, all sorts of 'healthy' dry cereals, a year of freezing cooked oatmeal in muffin cups, etc, etc.  A few months ago my daughter was visiting and her Dad was eating the bowl of Grapenuts he has had every morning for 40 years.  And I was laughing at him, as usual....I mean, they are little rocks!

My daughter pointed out that she, too, liked Grapenuts and I should give them a try.  I did, topped with granola and frozen blue berries and I was hooked!  So now I have to buy twice as many Grapenuts for the pantry.

Here is how I build my breakfast:

2 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I don't like grape nuts but I also haven't had them in like a decade and a half so who knows. I'm not a big cereal fan though. I like my morning eggs. That is what totally gets me through the day. It's the only thing that stays with me until lunch or my morning yogurt. Glad you found something that works well! I love the frozen blueberry thing too!

Shelby said...

When I was a kid my mom got us hooked on grapenuts with milk and honey. It still is a favorite of mine! Love your combination!