Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Saving Recipes from Magazines

As you see on the left, I am conducting a poll on how you handle keeping recipes that you want to try someday from magazines.  I am conducting the poll mostly for my own amusement, since I actually do it all the ways I have listed.  Right now I have a combination of methods. 
  • When I first flip through the magazine, I rip out what appeals to me and pile it on the kitchen table or cabinet.
  • Before I toss the magazine, I go through it again and my mood is often different, so I tear out more.
  • Recipes that I want to try quickly I keep on the kitchen table.
  • Recipes that I want to try soon, I slide loose into a notebook that has category dividers.
  • Recipes that have been sitting about for awhile go into an accordion file for much later.
  • When the recipe is a known keeper, even before I try it, I will glue it to a piece of notebook paper and put it in the looseleaf notebook that is my "use everday" notebook.
I know my fellow foodbloggers in yahoo group have been voting.  I'm going to announce the poll on my other recipe yahoo lists.

I find that I want to know more details about how you save and organize your recipes.....so leave a comment telling me!

7 comments:

Suzanne a.k.a. vivisue said...

I use an exacto knife and cut them out of the magazine or print them off from online, punch 3 holes in them and put them in a binder of "ideas". If/when I get around to making them and they are "keepers", I'll enter them into my wordprocessing software on my hard drive and pitch the hard copy. Hopefully I can blog about them some day. I also save recipes "online" at a few of my favorite recipe sites. However, I find I got back to my binder more often than the sites to which I have saved the recipe.

It would be great to have one site that you could gather all of your favorites with a "gather" button plug-in. Kinda like the Amazon Wish List button. Maybe I should work on that. Good question!

Peggy Bourjaily said...

This is a great discussion topic, Nan! I tear out any recipes I'm interested in and put them in a file. Sadly, that's as far as my organization goes and I tend to forget about the. So, I need to get even more organized like you!

teresacooks said...

I usually try to see if I can pull it up online and put it on my springpad (sprinpad.com) I just figured out I can put in little pictures (add media) and put it in lists. I also have a 3 ring binder at home where I print and file recipes I like. If I can't find it online I'm likely to rip it out and throw it in the binder too.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I keep a three ring binder where I have all my tried and liked recipes on hand. I store them alphabetically and by course. I also keep a few empty see through page protectors in the back where I can put recipes I have torn out of magazines or recipes I have printed that I'm waiting to try.

The only thing I do not like about my method is that when I try a new recipe and like it I have to type it up on Word to look like all my other recipes. Half the time I forget and a lot of recipes I have liked I forget about. Just writing this I realize I should really start typing more of them out. That way when I need a dinner idea all my choices are there.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Suzanne has way too much time on her hands if she uses an exacto knife! :) Me, I read the entire magazine, and then go back through and tear out recipes. I make a big pile of torn-out recipes, which then I later sort into categories and cut them out more neatly. Then the idea was to put them in some sort of organization in a binder. Of course, all I have right now is a giant basket full of various stages of torn-out recipes. One day, I'll get to finishing it!

MizLoo said...

I recently re-purposed a "File don't Pile" book for new recipes. I slide the recipe into this book & it lives in a kitchen cabinet. I try to look through it once a week for something to add to our cuisine.

But these days I'm more picky about what I rip out. Some criteria - fewer than 8 ingredients (don't count salt, pepper or evoo), cannot call for ingredients I can oly use for this recipe, prep time looks to be less than 1/2 hour.

Nus Nogard said...

Online recipes, I have no real way of organizing them yet. I use the recipe box on the sites if they have it and bookmark the site.

But many magazine ones and cookbook ones (where I usually don't like most of the recipes in the book) get written down in a lined notebook. Before I get around to writing them, they go in a recipe box big enough to fit a magazine since 'junk' cookbooks go in there too. That way it's all in one spot at least.