Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Breakfast Gems

This recipe came from freshman home economics class at Auburn University in 1967. It was always a hit when I made it in the 1970's, but had not made it since. It was written on a recipe card that I recently found. When Grumpy's Honeybunch announced the muffin contest, I immediately thought of it and sent it to her.

I was curious if it still was as good as I remembered, so decided to break down and bake it (I have not been baking anything since there are only two of us to eat it and we do not need all those extra calories sitting around).

Breakfast Gems

1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup drained, crushed pineapple (small can)
1/4 cup fruit preserves

Mix dry ingredients. Mix egg, oil, milk, pineapple. Mix together to moisten. Spoon into muffin cups 1/2 full. Top each with a tsp preserves. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Changes I made:  As I mixed these up, ideas came to me.  I drained the juice into a cup and just put in enough milk to bring it up to the 2/3 cup measure.  I also tossed in a handful of sweet shredded coconut.

We liked them for breakfast, but they were really good served for dessert with whipped cream.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

This looks so good with all that cream on top! We will be featuring your muffin tomorrow (Saturday, April 24!)

Regan Jones, RDN said...

War Eagle!!!! I couldn't believe when I clicked on your blog from Grumpy/HoneyB's site and found your Auburn mention. I'm an RD who graduated from AU... so I was in the "home ec" dept for my undergrad, too. I'll be adding your blog to my reader... hope you'll visit my site: theprofessionalpalate.com !!

Fallon said...

Hey Nan! Thanks for stopping by my blog to check out my post. I think your coconut oil swap out is a fantastic idea. I actually wanted to do something with coconut because the crushed pineapple seemed like a good pair. But I decided that I wanted to stick with the original and it was a great recipe! I'm so glad you submitted into the contest.

Good luck!

Nan said...

I'm also thinking of baking the batter in a cake pan and dropping jewels of jam symmetrically across the cake.......