Pages

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet

This is what I had for dinner last night:

The recipe is loosely based on this one.  Very loosely.  I used 2 small gala apples and I used shredded swiss chard instead of brussel sprouts.  For seasonings: salt, pepper, cinnamon, coriander.  It called for thyme. I also put some chicken broth in way before it was called for; those sweet potatoes don't get tender by themselves.  The swiss chard was put in at the end and wilted down. 



I think I added a squirt of lemon juice at the end, for a splash of fresh flavor.  I don't think I will ever use brussel spouts.  The apple, onion, sweet potato makes a nice flavor combination.  The chard is not very bitter, but adds some color and a bit of bite.  Kale would be too bitter.  Oh, and bacon makes everything taste better!
(Bacon and onion was sauteed first.)

The more recipes I read the more they look alike, with tiny differences.  Remember what you like and substitute in these skillet dinners.  I also am trying to use my mom's old iron skillets more; they are nonstick after all these years and no worry about fumes.  This skillet is the smooth surfaced black that they no longer make.  Glad I saved it, all through the years of teflon.................

No comments: