Pages

Friday, August 11, 2006

Fake Asian-Style Fried Fish


A few weeks ago I was digging through my freezer for a quick meal and came upon the fish sticks left over from my little grandson's visit. I had refused to throw them away, but, FISH STICKS? I was desperate, so I cooked the fish and was shuffling through the refrigerator, looking for something to pour over them to make them edible.

Well, my favorite asian dish is flash fried fish with sweet spicy sauce. Whenever it is a special on the menu I order it. And, lo and behold, there was my jar of Maggi® Taste Of Asia™ Sweet Chili Sauce. I poured some over the cooked fish sticks and the result was magic!

I then moved on to using the last fillet of my Gorton's Premium Fillet Flounder (breaded) and it was excellent, more fish inside the breading than the fish sticks, but the crust and the fish were not related to each other....you could cut the prepared fillet in half and just shake the fish part out!

So I perused my trusty Schwan's catalog and ordered the breaded blue hake fillet. The breading is very light and stuck tightly to the fish. This time I shared my invention with my husband, Larry, and he couldn't believe it was frozen breaded fish from a box and heated in the oven. It is amazing what the right sauce can do to dress up convenience food!

The rest of the dinner was cheater frozen peppers for stir-fry, instant rice and a bag of salad improved with fresh blueberries, cucumbers, slivered red bell peppers, and celery, topped with Annie's Balsamic Vinaigrette.

No comments: