Are you tempted by those little bags of flavored instant oatmeal? Peaches and Cream sound so yummy. Have you looked at the sugar content? Have you seen the amount the manufacturer considers a serving (to keep the price down)? Have you tasted it? Does it have any texture at all? Yes to every question but the last one, which is No.
Want to have the yummy flavor and solve the rest of the issues with the product?
1. Get out your sieve or strainer and hold it over the sink. Open that little bag and dump the contents into it and shake; watch all that sugar and powdered nondairy creamer go down the drain
2. Pour the remaining product into a microwave safe bowl.
3. Add a nice scoop of old fashioned dry oatmeal from the cardboard canister. It needs to be old fashioned for the texture you want.
4. Pour enough water over the oatmeal mixture to just cover it and make sure it is nice and wet.
5. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
6. Stir in your choice of liquid; I use almond milk and a shot of flavored nondairy creamer.
You get your flavor, texture and that cloyingly sweet taste is gone. You also actually have a proper sized serving.
Give it a try! And if you don't think the oatmeal in the package is too sweet, try it anyway; you can choose something sweet later in the day with no guilt.
Quaker is the most common brand, but you can do the same trick with any brand, if you have the same problems with the sweetness and portion size.