Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Veggie Heaven

Last week I had the opportunity to chat with a young chef at Soup on Sunday, a fundraiser for hospice. He told me the very best fresh vegetables, except for the Farmer's Market, are at Compare Foods. I have driven past this store for a couple of years and so I decided I needed to veer from my Harris Teeter/Trader Joe's habit and take a look.

I was like a kid in a candy store, just gaped and grinned the whole time I was in the produce section. And the prices....I filled a grocery bag to the top with plantains, kale, diced nopales, green beans, red onions, snow peas, red potatoes, just to skim the surface....and the bill was $20. I thought I had heard wrong! And the store is only about 5 minute drive away.

So now it is Trader Joe's for my frozen food and Compare Foods for my produce.

No comments: