Pages

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Precious China for Everyday?



I made an 'executive decision' just the other day. I inherited my Mom's Haviland china and it has resided in the china cabinet for many years. I used to bring it out on Thanksgiving, but was derided because of its small size...under 10" diameter. This past week I decided to start using it for lot of my everyday meals and it is featherweight and a delight to use. It is especially valuable because the factory where it was made was destroyed during WWII and the molds destroyed.

And guess what? The newest diet advice is to use smaller plates to encourage smaller portions. I measured plates in the dinnerware section of several stores and they are currently 11" in diameter.

It looks like my china from the 1930's is looking pretty modern.

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hey Nan,

I learned the same lesson while visiting my wealthy English godmother, years ago when the boys were young. We were visiting her in Marblehead Mass, and she asked me to describe my "everyday" china. At the time we were using Corelle! Anyway, as soon as the boys were a little older, I bought some inexpensive white china and have been using various patterns ever since. Love the appearance of yours! And it really means something special to you evry time you use it!

Nan said...

I used Corelle when the kids were small, you could grab all the plates out of the dishwahser and twist your wrist and shove them into the cabinet with one movement!
I've been using my Villeroy-Boch for years, which is porcelein china, but got bored. Interestingly, fine china does not chip as easily as everyday stoneware!

Needles Everywhere said...

I've also heard that some of the Haviland molds were destroyed in WWII, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of that anywhere. We also have some old Haviland that I'm trying to identify. Great post. I use all my 'nice stuff' all the time. It really is alot more durable than most people think as long as you don't use anything too harsh.