Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Breakfast Solved

I don't like breakfast foods in the morning; never have.  I will eat breakfast foods for lunch or dinner, just not when I wake up.  It is a problem, since the fuel breakfast delivers in the morning is very important.  I have always relied on cereal as my go-to meal.  But I don't like boxed cereals all that much, and they are mostly air.  Cooked oatmeal is okay occasionally in the winter, but I am not a fan.  I have been eating cornflakes for about a year, but am sick of those, too.  I mostly rely on a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter.  I even mix milk into my orange juice.  As you see, I am a problematic morning person.

Enter Holland America Lines breakfast muesli.  I am in love. This is a photo I found on the internet that is closest to what my version looks like.
During our cruise we had access to The Neptune Lounge, which had food and coffee and juice available all day.  (capuccino at touch of a button....oh my). The first morning I was looking over all the lovely bite sized tidbits available for breakfast (hello, continental style....no bacon and eggs than goodness).  I spotted some small white bowls full of something that looked like oats and milk, topped with some berries.  One spoonful and I was hooked!

Back home I did some googling and came up with how to recreate this for my daily morning meal.  You can go to the Eat Better to Live Better blog to get the full story.  For now, this is what I do:

Before I go to bed I put about 1/3 cup of raw, old fashioned oats into a small bowl, add milk to cover, drop in some dried fruit pieces and maybe some dried coconut, stir in some agave or honey, cover it and put it in the fridge.  The next morning I put in about 1 teaspoon of Vanilla CoffeeMate just because I am an addict, and spoon away.  Eventually I will get around to grating some apple into it to make it truly a Holland America Cruiseline treat.

I still eat that crunchy peanut butter on a spoon, too!
My current fave is at Trader Joe's.

No comments: