Pages

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Chicken Salad

I am not generally a fan of chicken salad; I won't order it on a menu. I don't even much like my own homemade version. A couple of years ago I discovered Harris Teeter's salad bar had some I liked, so when I get hungry for it, that is what I buy.

A few years ago I was at a sandwich/salad restaurant that was advertising chicken salad with walnuts and grapes and I forgot my rule and ordered it. My portion had 1/2 of a grape and one walnut. I complained and they looked at me like, "so?"

What is the point of this blog post? I have discovered another source of delicious chicken salad. Quite by accident, I must add. I was shopping in Trader Joe's and about to finish up and noticed a woman drinking a little cup of coffee...Trader's has free coffee of the day and a sample of the day in the back. I usually don't stop. Well, I needed caffeine, so I walked back to the counter. I asked what they were sampling and was told 'chicken salad'.

Well, I was hungry. And the portion was small. So I picked up a sample and WOW! I still don't know how much the carton cost; I just grabbed it.

I checked the ingredients, and they are unusual. There is celery, onion, parsley, cider vinegar, white vinegar, lemon juice. Also, there is toasted almonds, honey, and apple juice. And the best ingredient, that I would never have thought of using: currants.

I'm still not going to order chicken salad at a restaurant, but you'd better believe the TJ's chicken salad is going on my regular shopping list!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going on my list too!! Thanks for sharing :-)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I'll check it out. Chicken salad is my favorite in the whole wide world!! I just made an AWESOME chicken salad with an apple poppyseed dressing. I'm drooling right now thinking about it!